FirstSQL® Releases FirstSQL/J™ Version 2.70 with Enhancements for J2EE™ Support.
FirstSQL/J Version 2.70 is now available for download. The primary emphasis for new features in 2.70 is for J2EE Application Servers. It is important to note that, as a result of our success, two partner companies have agreed to bundle the full FirstSQL/J Enterprise Server v2.70 for evaluation with their J2EE distributed transaction products. These partner companies include Atomikos™ (www.atomikos.com), with their TransactionJTA™ v1.30 product and Arjuna™ (www.arjuna.com), with their Arjuna+JBoss™ v1.10 product.
Atomikos TransactionsJTA v1.30 will be available with Enterprise Server as the demo database immediately. Arjuna plans to make a demo available for download by the end of March and the final release of Arjuna+JBoss v1.10 with Enterprise Server by June 2004 in time for JavaOne. Arjuna will bundle Enterprise Server for demonstrating their distributed transaction service (JTS) and messaging service (JMS) products. Enterprise Server will be included for evaluation and testing with the Arjuna TrailMap demo.
Another exciting FirstSQL technology partnership driving the development of enhancements for J2EE support, ultra high J2EE database server performance, and the new transaction isolation modes in 2.70. Details regarding this technology partnership and development work are planned for release in late 2004.
Embedded Mobile 2.70 now supports multiple connections with the 4 transaction isolation levels.
Details of the new features in FirstSQL/J v2.70 are as follows:
* Scrollable Result Sets -- the JDBC driver now supports scrollable result sets, using TYPE_SCROLL_INSENSITIVE. All result sets built with the statement will be scrollable.
* Auto Commit -- the JDBC driver supports auto-commit mode (default is On). In addition, when you build a database you can configure Auto Commit On/Off at the database or connection level.
In auto-commit On mode, each SQL command is executed in a separate
transaction. setAutoCommit() in java.sql.Connection is fully
supported. The default auto-commit mode is determined by an option in the physical database -- auto.commit=on or auto.commit=off.
For compatibility, auto-commit defaults to off for existing physical databases. This can be changed with Maint or MaintGui. Any physical database built with Version 2.70 will have auto-commit set to on.
* Two new Transaction Isolation Modes -- the Enterprise server now supports the standard 4 transaction isolation modes.
Read-committed and repeatable-read
are added to the previously supported
read-uncommitted and serializable modes.
The transaction isolation mode can be set for a connection using setTransactionIsolation() in java.sql.Connection. The default transaction isolation mode for the server is set with the startup property -- transaction.isolation=. transaction.isolation= takes 'read.uncommitted', 'read.committed', 'repeatable.read' and 'serializable' as values. In 2.70, if transaction.isolation= is not specified at startup, 'repeatable.read' is used as the default.
* Removed server dependency on extension jar files for XA processing(xa=on) with JDK 1.2 and JDK 1.3. Starting up the server with xa=on no longer requires the JDBC 2.0 Standard Extension jar or J2EE jar on the classpath. These jars still may be required for client application use of javax.sql.* interfaces.
* New startup shell script for J2EE -- StartupJ2EE. This script
specifies default startup properties for J2EE, xa=on and
* Previously undocumented connection property -- session=, specified in client documentation under "JDBC Support". session= specifies name for session in the server log.
* Maximum Query Rows - New toggles for Ijdbc Utility (new Ijdbc Version 1.09):
- -a -- AutoCommit off
- -x nnn -- Maximum query rows.
* Documentation Improvements (doc subdirectory):
Full HTML documentation with Table of Contents linked to contents. This makes access to subjects and features easier and allows printing of full documentation.
* Fixes to Reported Bugs since v2.60.
Download FirstSQL/J v2.70 today from the FirstSQL Download section.
Contact FirstSQL at 1-510-232-6800 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
FirstSQL is a registered trademark and FirstSQL/J is a trademark of FFE Software, Inc. Java and Java-based trademarks are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc. Other names used in this release may or may not be the trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.